The Minister of the Ministry of Environment shows high commitment to conserve the natural resources during a visit to the Eastern Plains Landscape
The visit of MoE minister was done after the request of WWF-Cambodia’s country director asking him to come over and see the real situation on the ground, and to take the opportunity to encourage the communities, rangers, and other stakeholders involved in the law enforcement work. The presentations of Law Enforcement, Research, Community Engagement, and Environmental Education were conducted to the minister to show WWF-Cambodia’s efforts. The Minister gave his strong message and support as below:
- Working together to restore tiger preys and make it ready for Tiger Reintroduction. Tiger and Elephants are very important for Cambodia, and if the plan of tiger reintroduction happens, MoE minister will ask the Prime Minister to release the first tigers to the natural forest.
- Economic Land Concession (ELC), which is the main cause of deforestation in Cambodia, is over, in which no more new ELC will be granted; and the existing ones are also being strictly monitored.
- The Government’s task forces to crack down illegal logging in Cambodia is still working to stop the illegal timber trade across the borders.
- MoE will issues sub-degree and procedure on how to stop small-scale illegal logging
- NTFPs are the alternative sources of livelihood, and in the future , the government will educate the new generation for self-subsistence using mental knowledge and skills, which they do have to heavily depend on natural resources.
- Utilize wildlife and forests as the potential for eco-tourism and MoE will bring the tourists through exchange visit at least once a year.